Sunday, October 18, 2009

At the Movies - Sentimental Sunday No. 30

Movies have always played a large role in my life. I’ve mentioned before that my Dad worked in the industry for over forty years; he was at MGM in Culver City for eleven years and then at Walt Disney Studios in Burbank for thirty.
Even though he worked on so many films, he still enjoyed going out to the movies. Our movie nights together were very special. Culver City had two movie theaters; The Culver and The Meralta. We also had one drive in, The Studio Drive In. Both the Meralta and the drive in are long gone, but I believe The Culver is still standing.

We loved to go to the movies on Friday nights; double features. I love the memory of the old movie theaters with balconies and only one movie playing at a time. I have tried to instill the same love of movies in my son; I think I’ve been successful. Although his tastes run in a slightly different direction than mine – we do love going to the theater, or renting a movie to watch at home. In fact, last night I introduced him to the very “campy” series, “Friday the 13th”. We watched the first two, and he really did enjoy them.

I love a good movie and there are many that are my favorites that I could watch over and over again… and have in many instances. To name a few: Gone with the Wind, Giant, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, The Birds, Vertigo, Psycho, Snow White, Dirty Dancing, Terms of Endearment, the Turning Point – and those are just the ones that came instantly to my mind.

Do you have any favorites? If you were on a deserted island and could bring ten movies with you… which ones would YOU bring?



(all photos used from google images)

4 comments:

Kim said...

I love your family history within the movies ~ how cool is that?!? As far as what movies would I take with me....hmmmmm (here's the first few that come to my mind in no particular order)

1. Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version)
2. Twilight
3. Zoolander
4. The Fugitive
5. Men in Black
6. What's Up Doc?
7. Toy Story
8. Somewhere in Time
9. While You Were Sleeping
10.Love Actually
Do I have to stop at 10? Because I'd still want to take Spaceballs, The Sixth Sense, Sixteen Candles....and many more

Patty said...

Dirty Dancing, a funny Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy movie, The Ten Commandments, The Yearling, so many, I can't even think right off hand what they are.

But I wouldn't want any of the scary ones although I do like some of Hitchcock movies.

Hard to believe another week is over. I don't know where the time is going. Tomorrow Abe sees his lung doctor, Thursday I will be having my right eye cataract surgery. Can hardly wait.

And then we both have a dreaded birthday this month.

Laura said...

Oooh, that's a toughie!

I'd for sure bring Moulin Rouge, and also - She's The Man, PS I Love You, Notting Hill, Pride and Prejudice, Bride and Prejuice, The Wedding Singer, Emma, White Chicks and Sydney White.

Love your header photo and background! :-)

The Mulligan Family said...

Good choices everyone! Kim - I triple love Somewhere in Time and What's Up Doc! And Laura - you'd probably just bring Moulin Rouge and call it good! How many times HAVE you seen that movie now!

Patty - I hope you and Abe have a fabulous week and even more fabulous birthdays. Dreaded or not - you deserve to be celebrated.

Cheers everyone!

Related Posts with Thumbnails