Saturday, November 7, 2009

Turkey Time...

photo from i.ehow.com

Ah November! One of my favorite months. Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away - and you know what THAT means!! It means "The Best Meal of the Year!"


I really LOVE Thanksgiving. Yes, the holiday is about giving thanks - and I do have much to be thankful for. But, seriously... it's ALL about the meal !


We usually spend Thanksgiving with family, and I bring several of the side dishes for the meal. But, because I love the holiday (translation - the food) SO much - I always, and I do mean always, make a separate Thanksgiving meal for our little family. I usually do it the weekend after "Turkey Day". We have the wonderful meal on Saturday and then plenty of left overs. And, I go "all out". It is a full turkey dinner with all of the trimmings.


We have our favorites - and they are the things that I always make and grew up eating on this fabulous food holiday. There is my mother's (and before that my grandmothers) southern stuffing, light and fluffy mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry relish, a delicious blend of yams, squash and carrots that have been blended and whipped with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup (my mouth is watering just thinking about it) and homemade fresh and creamy corn. Sometimes there are pea's and sometimes other sides - but those are my mainstays. It wouldn't be a Thanksgiving dinner without them.


I would venture to guess that most people have one or two things that it wouldn't be Thanksgiving dinner without. What are your favorites?

3 comments:

Laura said...

That post made me SO hungry!! I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner also! I grew up on Stovetop stuffing but I have a cornbread recipe I really like and am hoping I can find the recipe this year!
I'm also trying a new dessert recipe - apple caramel cheesecake.

Patty said...

My Mom's homemade noodles cooked in the turkey broth and pumpkin pie.

5Youngers said...

My mom always made from scratch stuffing and stuffed the bird with it. We are always very careful of the temp... but it's just not Thanksgiving without the true stuffing in the bird. This year I am hosting Thanksgiving with my family and I'm making the bird...... stuffed :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails